To preface this post, I'd like to make one quick note about the word 'healthy' (I could go on and on with this subject for forever, but real quick...): the word 'healthy' is kind of a difficult term, because of its connotation surrounding it. It's caused people to see foods as good or bad. When really, you should look at food for what it is: macronutrients made up of calories, and micronutrients made up of vitamins and minerals. Since I said I'd make this quick, the most important takeaway from all this is to eat foods that make you fuel you and make you feel good: generally micronutrient dense foods. And don't eat foods that make you crash after an hour and make you feel like crap: generally calorie dense foods including lots of PUFA fats and sugar-y carbs at once.
Most of these snack/meals require a refrigerator, so this is me assuming you have a fridge in your trailer or hotel room!
1. Avocado Toast. Yep, I'm one of those kids- avo toast rules! This is obviously requires a toaster or oven... but I normally just toast two pieces of Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grain and Seeds bread, spread half of an avocado on the two pieces. add sliced grape tomatoes on top, and Tajin on one piece, and Everything But the Bagel seasoning on the other piece. Boom, a 'healthy' fat snack (or breakfast).
2. Greek Yogurt Parfait. This is one of my go-to snacks that I think I'll never get tired of. I just scoop some vanilla greek yogurt in a bowl, add granola, coconut flakes, dark chocolate chips, then top it with my favorite fruit and favorite nuts. For fruit in this type of bowl I love blueberries, raspberries, and black berries. For nuts, I love cashews or almonds! This one's super easy and takes like 3 seconds to prepare and 5 seconds to eat.
3. Rice Cakes & Tuna. K, this snack is so bomb, I'm not kidding. Get the Tomato Basil or White Cheddar Rice Cakes, spread some Garlic Laughing Cow cheese on 2-3 rice cakes, add some canned tuna, then I love adding paprika to top this snack off.
4. Turkey Pesto Wrap. Pesto is the besto, just saying. I love using tomato basil wraps, add a slice or two of your favorite cheese (mine is pepper jack), spread some pesto over the cheese (my favorite pesto is from Costco), then add some sliced turkey lunch meat. Wrap it up, and Bon Appétit.
5. Hummus & Veggies. I love getting my veggies in for the day by eating them with hummus. I recommend planning this snack in advance and cutting the cucumbers at home, then throw them in a container so you don't have to take the time to cut them up at the show. The hummus pictured here is from Costco. It's my favorite that I've tried.
Bonus: Protein Bar. If you're in a big hurry, I love the Fit Crunch bars from, you guessed it, Costco. And another bonus-bonus... (and not pictured) get some cotton candy grapes from Costco while you're there! They're so good and legit taste like cotton candy.
I hope you found these snack/meal options valuable & will try them at your next show! Send me a picture of your food if you try any of these! :)
#horseshowfood #aqhashow #wahsetmeet #aphashow #quarterhorseshow #openshow #openhorseshow #wahsetstate #horseshowsnacks